Home > SharePoint, SharePoint 2010 > SharePoint 2010 Bug: People Refinement Panel Customisation Failure Workaround

SharePoint 2010 Bug: People Refinement Panel Customisation Failure Workaround


I have recently setup several search pages with different facets in the refinement panels. They all worked fine except when I tried to do this for people search results using the People Core Results Web Part. No matter what I tried, I could not get the refinement panel to use the Filter Categories that I had specified, despite having successfully implemented similar for all other search results.

I tried using the People Refinement Web Part as well as the regular Refinement Web Part and this made no difference to the refinements that appeared, which were all standard refinements for people search. Of course I made sure that I unticked the Use Default Configuration check box when setting the Filter Categories. I tried this manually via the UI as well as via PowerShell, with no difference. I also ended up removing the Refinement Panel and adding back again several times, and exported the Refinement Panel web part to make sure it actually still had the configured Filter Categories to try and get a clue as to what may be causing this problem.

However when I eventually removed the People Core Results Web Part then added it back again, the Refinement Panel immediately started to use the refinements that were configured earlier in the Refinement Panel.

I tested this via the UI as well as via PowerShell deployment and it behaves the same in both scenarios and is repeatable. So if you experience the same problem, then try removing the People Core Results Web Part then add it back again.

Advertisements
  1. April 17, 2012 at 16:05

    Thank you soo much for this tip, I was pulling my hair after setting this up. everything was configured according to the Microsoft documentation and the tips I found on several fora. However I didnt try your solution. After spending alsmost two days searching, I found your article and this fixed the problem immediately

  2. April 17, 2012 at 16:07

    You’re a lifesaver. I spent almost 2 days searhing for a solution. everything was setup correctly, but the refinement simply wouldnt show. after removed the Cores result webpart and add it back again, evryhting worked as expected !

  3. Michael Hobbs
    October 8, 2014 at 11:27

    Fantastic, thanks so much for this. definitely a frustrating bug

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: